We often get asked "where are my Valheim save files" or "where are my Valheim world save location". This guide will help you find your steam save location.
When playing alone or with friends, your world is automatically saved. Therefore, you usually don't need to manually save in Valheim. If you are running Valheim whilst trying to do this, don't. Close down the game and this will ensure the save file is completely saved.
You can find your Valheim save location by following these steps:
- Find the place on your computer where your Valheim world saves are. You usually find it here: C:\Users**\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\worlds - you can also get here by hitting Windows Key + R and typing %appData% and then going back one folder to take you to AppData
- Look for the latest saved game. You can find this by seeing which file has the newest date and time.
- Open the newest saved game folder and make a copy of everything in it, this ensures you have a backup and will still be able to use the world file if anything goes wrong
- Now, stop your server.
- Use FTP (a way to move files around) to connect to your Valheim dedicated server and find where the saves are there.
- Just like before, find the latest AutoSave-folder on the server and put the copied stuff from your computer into it.
- Once all complete, run a 'Cloud backup' in the control panel to ensure that this world is also saved to the cloud.
The Valheim save location on your PC
C:\Users**\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\worlds for me, my full path is: C:\Users\Connor\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\worlds
The Valheim save location on the server
You can upload the file via File Manager or FTP, all the files are stored in the root folder: Valheim\worlds.
How to backup Valheim World
To find the 'Cloud Backup' link, on the control panel you should be able to find it to the left hand side navbar. We recommend setting up a scheduled task for this to happen routinely, we do have another guide to help you do this, but if you get stuck feel free to contact us to setup the task.
We hope this helps you find your Valheim save file location. Get going with us quickly! If you have any problems, contact our support team. We'll be more than happy to help you.
Find a mistake or want to contribute? Contact us
A Valheim guide, let us know what other guides you want to see and we will get them